Name:
Location: Pune/Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

Capricious, eccentric, happy-go-lucky

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Terra Incognita

A few weeks from now and I'll be twenty. Twentehhh! I'm going to be OLD. Yikes!!!(Ok time to cut the drama). So why is turning twenty such a milestone?
It means official(read: no looking back) entry into the world of adults. My hostel mates will no longer call me 'bachha', 'kiddo' or 'little one'. Or pinch my cheek about 50 times a day. (And believe me they get such a kick doing that). Don't think I'm going to miss that much, but it sure is nice to be pampered for a bit.
When I was much younger, I always believed that there was childhood and then you jumped straight to adulthood at twenty. I thought I'd know how to drive a car, cook everything possible and do several other things that I deemed 'adult'-at twenty, just like that. Like a snap of the fingers.(I was really really young back then). I never realised that one would have to traverse the tortuous realm of adolescence. Tricky years that make you who you are. Years that trigger a metamorphosis, hormonal surges, introspection and experimentation. Moments that hone you and sandpaper the rough edges. 16-19 especially was one memorable journey-one helluva topsy turvy rollercoaster ride.
These years have taught me several valuable lessons-like you've got to keep learning, it's a never-ending process and it's never going to be enough. That the only opinion that really really matters is my own, however humble and unrefined it may be. And time is paramount-each fleeting second is a priceless gift. We all know this
but do we conciously realise it-ever? And perhaps the hardest lesson of them all is learning to just let go sometimes-however unacceptable it may seem. It saps the energy from your very core, leaves you badly bruised even, but you just have to see that things can't always be the same. After all change is the only constant in life.
Twenty for me heralds the closing of chapter 1. Sure, I can go back to it, just like a favourite book, but just to re-read that beloved, intoxicating chapter. The next chapter has yet to begin. I think I'm in no-man's land right now. Sometimes we greet changes with hesitation, then one fine day you realise those very changes have become stale news, pedestrian. Turning twenty is not earth-shattering news. Not even miles close. But it does mean stepping out of some of my comfort zones. Which translates to apprehension and excitement and a hundred butterflies doing the tango in my belly! Its a heady cocktail, but alas! It's laced with nostalgia. Sigh. Guess it's time to kiss the growing up blues and the Peter Pan Syndrome goodbye. Sometime in the near future at the least.
Yeah, I'm going to cherish all the memories of the era gone by. They'll always play at the back of my mind. It's been a great year guys. Before I get more senti here, I'm going to sign off. God bless you all.

18 Comments:

Blogger insane said...

happy budday buddy !!
fundoo post..but am apprehensive ppl will start calling u kiddo !!
ur lessons in life really make me think if i have learnt anything in my 22 yrs of life ?? guess i wasted most of it...

11:03 AM  
Blogger FateGlimpse said...

thanx tho my bday's in march. dude all of r in the same boat. v hardly learn anything , and then suddenly try to cram everything in a few yrs.

10:37 AM  
Blogger FifthBeatle said...

It's interesting that you should choose to write a post on this topic just before your 20th birthday, because one tends to associate such posts with 21st birthdays instead. I turned 21 last year, and I'm way behind on the things I wanted to have done by the time I was 21. I got some serious catching up to do!!

6:27 AM  
Blogger _dirtboy said...

Whoa.. Thats ONE PINK blog you got

1:24 PM  
Blogger FateGlimpse said...

21 is a lot more exciting..20 is just plain dull. i'm not looking forward to it at all. and don't get me started on the things i was supposed to have done by now.
hey i happen to like the colour, it's overused on the template though.

7:48 PM  
Blogger abc said...

sanyu,dont let it get to you.. i was dreading it a few weeks back but you know what,its not that bad...sure,we ARE old and ought to have been a whole lot more responsible,but on the other hand- you are also free to elope!! ;-)

2:16 AM  
Blogger FateGlimpse said...

yeah elope, sounds exciting hon. but we're missing that one tiny detail-someone to elope with! aw well the day shall dawn, i shall turn twenty and hopefully by the same time next year i shall be wiser.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Switchblade said...

Nice blog, keep it up.
And if you think turning 20 is a big milestone, just wait til you turn 21! Thats when the proverbial shizz hits the fan big time! I would know.. i turn 21 in a few weeks :s

9:35 AM  
Blogger FateGlimpse said...

thanx switchblade. actually i'm looking forward to 21, but 20 is so in-between if u know what i mean.

11:23 AM  
Blogger FifthBeatle said...

Lol... Eloping sounds like a lot of fun... I'd love to give it a try actually... I want to get married, and I don't really hv the money as yet.. so why the hell not, eh?

5:22 AM  
Blogger Switchblade said...

Were you referring to Roanna Correa? She a friend of mine studyin here in Pune.Her cousins are Vaz's.

10:21 AM  
Blogger FifthBeatle said...

switchblade - was who referring to roanna? i'm totally lost man...

10:44 AM  
Blogger FateGlimpse said...

no i was referring to a Roanna Vaz..she was in my hostel last year. Never mind.

6:32 AM  
Blogger vishnoi said...

why is everyone talking abt getting old at 20?? i turned 21 last dec... and i don't feel any different :P

i guess a change is only felt when u move on from college to work... make ur own moolah.. and then think of how to 'invest' it.. so as to make more cash.. :D

btw, happy b'day :)

7:44 AM  
Blogger FateGlimpse said...

u know wot... its a lil different for guys...u all never grow up! for girls, it doesn't matter how liberally you are brought up, there will be plenty of annoying relatives and other people to remind you that your getting older, people who'll start looking at you as a 'marriageable' prospect, rub it in that you have a billion responsibilities. kinda kills some of the teen inhibitions-it could be at a subconcious level ,but still you are made to realise that your not so young any more. that's what i dislike about growing up, why the hell do people have to rub it in and make me aware of it all the time?????

1:57 PM  
Blogger Philosopher in Eden said...

Belated birthday wishes!!
They rub it in cause they have suffered the same and want revenge!
Revenge... its basic instinct... well one of them!

anyways... dont just get too bogged down by your age or what those rub-ers say!

do what you wish... and keep walking... :-) (not the one in "take a walk")

8:03 AM  
Blogger ketaki said...

you are an extremely good writer..
i have not read any blogs that i agree with soooo much...
even the words that u use,... everything...
whats your name?
which college in pune?
i am from PICT.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

who is this? Pls get back to me...id like to know ur name? Is this sayuni by any chance?

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home